Varun Dev Temple rehabilitation
The VarunDevMandir is on Manora Island, off Karachi Harbor. It is situated on a small hillock, which was clearly very prominent from surroundings and has been marked on the old maps as such. Like every other religious site associated with the natural feature, it must have been part of exploit or appearance of some deity; in present case it may be case of VarunDev that attracted the fancy of the devotees. Most probably it is associated withthe story of Krish-na visiting this place to honor the erstwhile deity Varun Dev. The surrounding depression was gradually filled up, with the mu-nicipal selection as in-fill site, and subsequently by the efforts of the community, to provide the level grounds for the devotees’ activities, during festivities and ceremonies. It subsequently became the part of Mandir, by receiving some construction. It has faired well in Administrative Correspondence of Colonial Re-cords; the information about the temple, its being associated with any particular community and circumstances of its constructionare otherwise not available. Manora Island also is not much known in historical narratives. The first ever reference, which provides an indirect reference, is from IbneMajid’s account of seafaring in Indian Ocean. It refers to Munawara. This reference may be construed as an association of the place with the presence of a light tower; not necessarily to a structure like the-modern day lighthouse, but of course the ancient world is replete with the most amazing structures serving as lighthouses, to afford the guidance to the seafarers.
Rumi Graveyard conservation
Rumi is the graveyard with beautifully carved graves. It is situated on right side of the Karachi – Hub road, some 7 kms short of Hub town. The graveyard was in complete ruins, highly vandalized by the tomb robbers, in search of treasures. The graves, mostly of 17th century are cut and carved out of local sandstone. The rich carving lured many a free boaters to carry away the scattered slabs, many of these with inscriptions. The circumstances warranted immediate attention of the government archaeological department and other volunteer organization, working on Heritage to intervene to save an important graveyard from complete destruction. SEAS Pakistan, a group of dedicated Archaeologists and conservationists, took cognizance and made a proposal for the restoration of the graves and for securing the graveyard against future destruction. The restoration workout only involved the basic conservation principles for archaeological heritage, enshrined in various conservations and guidelines framed under UNESCO but also went a step further and devised strategy to involve the stake holders in order to end the isolation of the site of RUMI and workout assured safeguard for the future.
Khaliq dina hall conservation
The Khaliq-Dina hall was under focus since long, due to recurring issues with the structure and allied spaces. In this connection the Karachi Metropolitan Corporation initiated discussions; resultantly a Seminar was held in Khaliq-Di-na Hall, participated by lead experts in the field. The seminar made recommen-dations, resultantly a proposal was developed with consensus. Therefore a development scheme prepared, the work has been assigned to M/s Laraib Enterprises, and Sindh Exploration and Adventure Society (SEAS) Pakistan is to provide the Consultancy for the project. The Khaliq dina Hall was the first public build-ing built by local Muslim philanthropists for the literary and leisurely pursuits of the native population. We must recall that white and black quarters divided the city into distinct parts during the Colonial period. The natives lived in the Old Town — the north-western part Serai Road, Napier Road and Bunder Road, while the goras lived in the southeast the Civil Lines Quar-ter, Frere Hall, Sindh Club and Governor House. In addition, Saddar was used by the European population for shopping and recreation. Khaliqdina Hall was built in 1906 at a cost of Rs33,000, including a generous donation of Rs18,000 made by Ghulam Hussain Khaliqdina.
muhki house conservation & restoration
police museum establishment
baloch graveyard conservaton
central record office governor house stone entrance
The Public Record Ofﬁce Act was passed in 1838 to ‘keep safely the public records. It placed records of existing and ancient courts of law and their offices in a non-ministerial department under the Keepership of the Master of the Rolls. The Public Record Office was Organized in a number of branches with headquarters at Rolls House on the Rolls Estate in Chancery Lane, central London. The Master of Rolls was empowered to regulate public access to records and to ﬁx fees for their inspection, where appropriate. He was also required to appoint a Deputy Keeper as Chief Record Keeper. At the time, the term “record” referred only to legal documents. However, during the 1840s, papers and documents of government departments began to be accepted for preservation. This development was firmly supported by the Public Record Office and by the Treasury. To legalize matters an Order—in-Council was issued in 1852. A year earlier the first stone of the new purpose-build repository had been laid on the Rolls Estate and between 1854 and 1856 the various branches were moved into it. in 1862 they were joined the records and staff of the State Paper Ofﬁce, which had been absorbed by the Public Record Ofﬁce in 1854, and further extensions were made to the repository between 1868 and 1900. A limitation existed, however, as there was no formal requirement for government departments to transfer their papers and make them available for public access. Until the Public Record Office Acts of 1877 and 1898, there was also no provision for the destruction of material not selected for preservation. Concern over this lack of a systematic procedure for government records led to an investigation by a Royal Commission on Public Records (1910—1919), but little came of its ﬁndings. It was not until the appointment of a committee in 1952 to review the existing arrangements that reform began.